Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Multiple Intelligence in the classroom

1. After taking the quiz on multiple intelligences, I found out that my strengths are Interpersonal and Intrapersonal. The core characteristics for Interpersonal include collaborative skills, cooperative attitude, leadership, social influence, social empathy and social connection. The core characteristics for Intrapersonal include affective awareness, ethical awareness, self-regulation and metacognition. I believe that self-regulation is one of the characteristics that explains me the best. I am very conscious of my thoughts, actions and behaviors whenever I get involved in any sort of activity. Another core characteristic that describes me would be collaborative and cooperative. In any setting, especially in school, I am always willing to accept input in order to make my work better. I also love to collaborate with others on projects. Doing this helps me learn.

2. Interpersonal students seek the support of a group, value relationships, enjoy collaborative work, solicit input from others, and tend to be natural leaders in the classroom. To support this intelligence in the classroom a teacher should allow interaction among students during learning tasks and include activities where students work in groups. By doing this, it allows an Interpersonal student to learn best.
Intrapersonal students are normally comfortable with themselves, and they can express their feelings towards an activity. They normally have confidence in their own abilities, and are able to know both their own strengths and weaknesses. In the classroom it is helpful to use analogies when making comparisons and provide activities that offer the learner choices. It is also important to have the student set goals for him or her, as well as assess theirself. Providing a daily journal or some writing activity, which allows the student to express his or her feelings is also very helpful.

3. To support Interpersonal intelligence in the classroom it is best to have class discussions, chats, and collaborative projects. Other technologies that help stimulate this intelligence include post-it notes, laboratory, the intercom, board games and message boards.
To support Intrapersonal intelligence in the classroom it is best to keep journals or diaries. Some technologies that would help stimulate this type of intelligence include surveys, learning centers, children's literature, class discussions, and self-assessments.

4. Knowing my multiple intelligent strenghts helps me be able to teach and provide these kinds of opportunities to my classroom and students. However, it could also hinder my classroom if I only focus on those two intelligences. Therefore, it is necessary for me to know and understand all of the different multiple intelligences. By understanding the basics of all the different intelligences I can incorporate a little bit of every intelligence into my classroom. This would be the best solution for my classroom and my students.

Credits
I utilized the website http://surfaquarium.com/ to help understand and gain information about Multiple Intelligences.

No comments: